Spiritual Care Services
Spiritual care is at the heart of caring for each individual. Tending to matters of the heart and spirit greatly benefit a person's sense of well-being when facing an illness, recovery and life changes.
Our staff chaplain and spiritual care volunteers provide support to anyone in need regardless of religious tradition. A patient or a patient's family member or friend may request to see the chaplain, or simply accept a visit when offered. Support is available when desired for:
- Private and confidential conversation
- Sacraments, anointing with oil, or other religious ritual
- Support when experiencing hopelessness, despair, doubt and uncertainty
- Assistance in exploring how your personal beliefs may be a resource for healing and well-being
- Support when experiencing a loss
- Help in searching for meaning and purpose in your life
- Information for contacting your own religious leader
- Support as you prepare for surgery or other medical procedures
- Someone to talk with after receiving a new diagnosis
- Help with specific requirements and needs based upon your religious beliefs
- Support in your own spiritual practices or faith tradition
Our chaplain is board certified with the Association of Professional Chaplains. Our chaplain volunteers have completed at least one unit of clinical pastoral education (CPE) and assist in providing on-call support at the time of death, emergency or trauma.
The staff chaplain is available from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you would like to speak with a chaplain during business hours, call 515.282.5726 or the hospital operator at 515.282.2200.