ABOUT BROADLAWNS MEDICAL CENTER
Broadlawns Medical Center is an acute care, community hospital, supported by several specialty clinics that serve the medical, surgical, mental health and primary health care needs of the residents of Polk County.
OUR MISSION IS CLEAR:
Working together to build a healthy community through the delivery of accessible cost effective and high quality patient care.
As part of our mission, Broadlawns has a long-standing reputation of providing highly respected training programs for health care professionals. Our Family Medicine Residency Program, Transition Year Program and several medical education and clinical training programs are well-known for preparing future leaders in health care in our community, our state and across the country.
Broadlawns Medical Center has a long, rich tradition of “Caring for Our Community™.” For more than 80 years, Broadlawns has served the residents of Polk County with high quality and high value health care services.
Today, Broadlawns Medical Center comprises:
- Excellent general medical, surgical, mental health and primary health care services
- Specialty clinics in family health, pediatrics, podiatry, internal medicine, dentistry, mental health and women’s health care
- Advanced medical procedures in ankle replacement surgery , amputation prevention and pain management
- Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient mental health care programs
- A 60-member physician practice with more than 300 physicians on staff and 26 nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Respected residency programs in family medicine, transition year and podiatry affiliated with the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine and Des Moines University. More than 300 students are in various stages of professional development
- Residency program graduates are serving in 22 of Iowa’s 99 counties and in communities across the nation
Broadlawns Medical Center is proud to share our report cards for the quality of our care through our Vital Signs ratings and the value of that care through the Iowa Hospital Association’s Comparison of Costs.
Funding for Broadlawns comes from a variety of sources. The largest portion of the funding comes from the Polk County property tax levy. In addition, Broadlawns Medical Center receives reimbursement revenues from Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance. Federal and state grant programs, contracts and private donations round out our funding sources. Please refer to our annual Report to the Community for more information.
Broadlawns Medical Center is governed by an elected board of trustees. Seven trustees are elected to 6-year terms by the residents of Polk County.
Located just ten minutes from the heart of downtown Des Moines, Broadlawns is easily accessible from I-235 and Martin Luther King, Jr. Parkway. The hospital and clinics are also a stop on the MTA bus route. Click here for a map.
1801 Hickman Road
Des Moines, Iowa 50314