Broadlawns Medical Center and UnityPoint Health – Des Moines are pleased to offer a jointly-administered psychiatry residency program.
Through the jointly-administered program, psychiatry residents garner experience with access to 112 inpatient psychiatric beds as well as outpatient and community-based patient volumes that exceed 100,000 annual visits.
Broadlawns Medical Center and UnityPoint Health – Des Moines have been successfully collaborating in Graduate Medical Education since 1947. The two partnering organizations recognized an opportunity to further their educational collaboration by offering residency training for a much-needed medical specialty in Iowa. Broadlawns Medical Center and UnityPoint Health – Des Moines are committed to training the next generation of psychiatrists for the state of Iowa.
Our mission is to train clinical psychiatrists who are able to care for patients and to lead teams of healthcare providers in diverse environments.
- Provide clinical training in a variety of practice settings and across a diversity of patient populations with graduated autonomy.
- Provide training to teach and supervise students and practitioners in behavioral health professions and to lead teams of behavioral health professionals.
- Provide training to serve as consultant to health professionals in non-behavioral health specialties.
- Provide training to engage in scholarly activity that will build skills in teaching and in the practice of evidence-based medicine.
- Provide training in population-based health to allow residents to see how their work fits in to the larger context of health care.
- Demonstrate and perpetuate a collegial and supportive environment that attends to the well-being of residents, faculty and staff in our program.
As a program with a mission to train psychiatrists with clinical expertise in diverse environments, we wish to build a program that is diverse and inclusive and that promotes diversity in the hospital communities of our sponsoring institutions. We must therefore recruit applicants from all backgrounds, including racial and ethnic minorities as well as LGBTQ+ individuals to our residency program. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply to our program and to apply for elective rotations in psychiatry in our sponsoring institutions. We strive to use practices in our recruitment that promote diversity and inclusion.
Equally important in building a program that is diverse and inclusive is to recruit faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. We strive to use evidence-based practices to recruit and retain faculty from diverse backgrounds in our program.