A representative from the Broadlawns Surgery Department will call you 1-2 business days before your surgery (between 8am and 2pm) to inform you of your arrival time and provide pre-surgical education.
If you have not received a call by 2pm the day before your procedure, please contact the Surgery Department at (515) 282-2385.
Preparing for Surgery
- Bring a Driver. You will not be allowed to drive yourself home after same-day surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and slip-on shoes, if possible.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight, including water, unless instructed to do so.
- Do not use any tobacco products, chewing gum, candy, cough drops or lozenges after midnight.
- You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow water.
- Do not shave the area where the surgery will be performed.
- Do not wear make-up, lipstick or nail polish; acrylic nails do not need to be removed.
- Remove metal body piercings, jewelry, and hair pins.
- If you wear contact lenses, wear your glasses the day of surgery.
- Get plenty of rest.
Alcohol and Controlled Substances
Do not drink any alcohol for at least 24 hours before surgery. Tell your doctor about any narcotic or other non-prescription drug use. If you test positive for alcohol or certain illegal or controlled substances, your surgery may be canceled.
It is important to tell your doctor about ALL medications you are taking, including over-the-counter medicine, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Bring a list that includes all of the medications that you routinely take, their dosage, how often you take it, the reason you take it, and the name of the provider who prescribed the medicine.
Be sure to ask your doctor which medications, if any, you should stop taking prior to surgery. Some medications may need to be stopped several days before surgery.
Before surgery, it is important to contact your insurance company to see if you need pre-approval for surgery, medications or any post discharge services. You will also want to inquire about deductibles and co-pays.
If you have limited or no health insurance coverage, our Financial Counseling Department can help. Our financial counselors can assist you in determining your eligibility for a variety of assistance programs.
If you are uninsured and do not qualify for any financial assistance, you will be asked to pay a deposit and make payment arrangements prior to surgery. These arrangements must be made prior to scheduling your surgery.
Financial Counseling Hours: Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
For additional information or assistance, please call (515) 282-2246
Leaving the Hospital
You will not be allowed to drive yourself home or get into a cab alone after a same-day surgery. If you have been told that you will be spending one or more nights in the hospital after your surgery, please arrange for someone to take you home on the planned day of discharge. If you are using a medical transportation company as your ride home, the arrangements must be in place prior to your surgery date. If you do not follow these guidelines, your surgery will be rescheduled.
Bring the Following Items (if you have them):
- CPAP or other breathing machine (tubing & mask) and settings.
- Glasses, hearing aids, dentures, and denture container.
What to leave at home:
- Jewelry or other valuable items
- Large sums of money and credit cards
- Sharp objects and weapons
Broadlawns Medical Center is not responsible for a patient's personal property (cell phones, jewelry, dentures, etc). Valuables should be left at home or given to a family member.